The Green Valley Chapter Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) will be hosting a Mix & Mingle at Grill on the Green, 5800 S. Camino Del Sol, on Friday, Nov. 4, from 5 to 7 p.m. The menu will include hors d’oeuvres with a slice of strawberry shortcake for dessert. The cost is $20.
The Mix & Mingle is specially designed to introduce potential new members to the chapter, which is one of the most active in Arizona. Some of the projects the chapter tackles each year include:
* Awarding at least three scholarships to JROTC cadets from the Sahuarita, Rio Rico, and Nogales High Schools.
* Collecting food for the junior airmen from the 162nd Fighter Wing, AZ Air National Guard.
* Presenting 30 $50 gift cards for the local commissary to the airmen just prior to Thanksgiving so that they can purchase a turkey and all the trimmings for a traditional holiday feast.
* Supporting the VA hospital and Women Warriors by donating gently used clothing and new socks and underwear for homeless veterans.
* Donating gift cards, hats, gloves, lap blankets, and large print and puzzle books for hospitalized veterans at holiday time.
* Knitting hats and scarves for homeless veterans.
* Organizing Toys for Tots collection.
Both commissioned and warrant officers (former, retired, active duty, Guard, and Reserve) as well as officers in the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration are eligible for MOAA membership, as are spouses of deceased officers. The Chapter hosts six meetings annually—generally, three lunches and three dinners.
Reservations are required to attend the Mix & Mingle and may be made by contacting Quail Creek resident Peggy McGee at [email protected] or 520-207-6188 no later than Oct. 28. For more information, please visit the MOAA website greenvalleymoaa.org.