Donna Lou Hetler and Peggy McGee
Throughout 2018, the Green Valley MOAA Knit Wits knit up a storm of handmade items for local and national vets. The six members, Donna Lou Hetler, Lynda Linker, Donna Herrera, Ruth Link, Sharon Rychener and Polly Casey, knit hats, scarves, baby blankets and afghans for several service organizations to help keep both active military, veterans and their families warm this winter.
This year the group provided:
* 48 hats for the Black Hand MI Battalion at Fort Huachuca for the troops as they deploy overseas.
* 70 scarves for Operation Gratitude which ships Christmas packages to service personnel overseas.
* Two adult afghans, five baby afghans, two car seat afghans and two hats for two pregnant homeless vets in the Tucson area.
* 20 afghans, ten baby afghans and four car afghans were donated to the VA hospital for local veterans.
* Four homeless veteran mother gift sets to include toiletries were provided for the expectant moms and there were mini-afghans for the babies.